My favorite meatless Monday meal is bean soup and fresh bread, but since I’ve already shared that recipe here, I’m going to share another favorite.
This meal has amazing flavor and comes together extremely fast. I thought this would be a great way to begin Meatless Mondays because it’s Monday, and we’re busy people, and of all the days of the week, Monday is the last day I’m planning a feast.
So we’re starting it off right, with a meal truly worthy of a Monday evening.
- Oil for frying
- ⅓ onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, minced
- 1 bag frozen stir fry vegetables (fresh or leftover can be substituted)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1½ cups cooked rice
- Soy Sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (optional)
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook until just tender.
- Move the onion to the center of the pan. Add the garlic and ginger on top. Saute about another minute.
- Add the vegetables, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook until light brown.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the rice. Mix to incorporate everything.
- Lightly sprinkle everything with soy sauce (a little go a long way) and mix everything together. Taste to test and add more sauce accordingly.
- Clear a small space near the edge of the pan. Add the beaten egg and allow to slightly set, untouched until the edges and bottom are firm and the center is still runny.
- Mix the egg into the dish to incorporate egg throughout.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
I love this recipe because it can be made three different ways: with leftovers, with fresh ingredients, or with frozen ingredients. This particular day I was SUPER busy and had nothing in the fridge. I had no time to shop, wash, chop, etc. I made this using frozen veggies and some freshly cooked medium grain rice. I put the rice on while I went for a quick run, by the time I was back, the rice was finished and dinner was ready to be put together!
How do you manage busy weeknight dinners?