Not all Mondays offer time to cook. That’s why today’s meal is perfect for those days you just don’t have time… for anything.
I find this easiest to prepare when I make this dough, which makes 4-5 dough balls. We typically only use two for dinner. I like to use the other two, along with leftover cheese, sauce, and vegetables to make these frozen veggie calzones. Because this is made and frozen ahead of time, it makes meatless Mondays easy!
On those meatless days when you need a quick, effortless meal, this is the best. It goes from freezer, to oven, to plate with no more effort than transferring from container, to pan, to plate.
- 1 dough ball
- ½ cup prepared pizza sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Toppings of your choice (use leftover or see below)
- Divide the dough ball into two equal portions.
- Roll out into two ovals. Arrange on counter so the longest side is perpendicular to you.
- Place half the sauce on each, near the top and sprinkle with fresh herbs.
- Top with toppings and mozzarella cheese, keeping the toppings and cheese on the top ⅓ of the oval.
- Fold the bottom portion up over the top, to form a half moon shape.
- Press the seam down, then fold it up and over itself, twisting the dough from one corner to the next as you work.
- Place both calzones on a baking sheet and freeze for 2 hours or until frozen through.
- Transfer to an airtight container using parchment paper to separate the calzone.
- When ready to eat, preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Remove the calzone from the freezer, rub the top with olive oil and sprinkle with dried herbs.
- Bake on a pizza stone or baking sheet, 45 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Serve hot.
And in case you are looking for something other than a leftover veggie filling, try one of these awesome topping combinations:
- Zucchini, mushrooms, and onions
- Spinach, feta, artichoke, and garlic
- Spinach, ricotta, and tomatoes
- Asparagus, red peppers, and wild mushrooms
Do you like something different, what are your favorite veggie combinations?
Lately, I’ve really been enjoying pineapple and jalapenos. Between the sweet pineapple and spicy peppers, you don’t even notice you’re missing meat.