Every Monday, The Homespun Journal shares a meatless meal idea. By doing this, we hope to build a collection of resources that will help you to go meatless on Mondays, regardless of your reason.
Today’s dinner was actually intended for a meatless dinner over the weekend that would accompany our soak in a natural hot spring. Unfortunately, a rapidly leaking tire and high temperatures changed that plan. But lucky for us (and you) this meal can be easily saved for another day, landing it onto our plates, and your screens, for another Meatless Monday.
Bruschetta is typically served as an appetizer; however, when served on thickly sliced bread and alongside a vegetable filled salad, it is the perfect meal for beginning the week with healthier choices.
I chose this meal for a few important reasons:
- It can be made ahead. Mondays are busy. Anything that can be made, stored, and eaten later is ideal in my book.
- It accompanies the hot winds of summer nicely. The bruschetta is cool, light and filling.
- We love it. It seems like a simple meal, and it is. But it is perfect for eating, talking, relaxing and enjoying an evening, which is a wonderful way to start a week.
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup white onion, thinly sliced
- 6 basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 T. balsamic
- ¼ of a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Baguette, sliced, toasted & drizzled with olive oil
- Parmesan or feta
- Combine the first five ingredients together in a small mixing bowl.
- Squeeze the juice from a ¼ lemon over everything and mix through.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Stir through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop a portion onto each slice of oil drizzled toast and sprinkle with cheese.
Served with a crisp salad filled with fresh veggies and sprinkled with cheese, this meal is a perfect follow up to all of the deliciously, heavy foods that come with Memorial Day Camping Trips.
How did you spend your Memorial Day weekend?
We spent the weekend with friends eating delicious grilled goodies and drinking too many summer cocktails… but that’s what weekend visits with friends are for! This dinner is just what we need to kick off the week. How about you?