I’m not exactly a white-glove style duster. I’m more of a sweep through the house with my dry dust cloth very quickly type.
Ever since moving to the desert, this method hasn’t been working as well. There is dust everywhere; it is on everything you touch!
As a result, I have finally realized I need to make a change to my dusting technique. To help pick up more of the desert dust, I needed a dusting product with some moisture.
As you know, I’m not big on home cleaning products, which left me searching for the perfect DIY solution. I continued to find DIY solutions that were for one type of finish or a specific type of material, but nothing that was universal.
So I began to experiment, and what I was able to make was a versatile dusting solution that cleaned our real wood pieces just as well as the less expensive finds.
- 2 T. Olive oil
- 2 T. Lemon juice
- 1 small jar
- Hammer and nail
- Dusting cloth
- Begin by piercing 6-7 small holes in the top of the jar.
- Combine the olive oil and lemon juice in the jar.
- Holding the dusting rag over the holes, shake to combine.
- Tip the jar and shake lightly to add more liquid to your rag.
- Dust your furniture using the rag moistened with the dusting solution.
I’ve used this on real wood tables and pressed wood media stands. The dusting solution hasn’t left a residue on either. It’s also managed to wipe any plastics (such as the TV base) that got in the way of my dusting clean.
Have you tried DIY dusting solutions in the past? What did you think?