My favorite DIY projects involve up-cycling. DIY-ing is just so much more satisfying when something old becomes something new and beautiful.
I recently received an old picnic basket. Since our house is already filled with loads of super organized baskets, I was hoping to find another use for it.
Fortunately, I’ve also been looking for a fun herb container. This basket arrived at just the right time, lending itself beautifully to this cute herb planter.
Turning an old basket to a planter is easy. It takes just 5 easy steps:
- Separate any unwanted basket parts. For my picnic basket, I removed the lid from the basket.
- Line the basket with two layers of newspaper up to an inch from the top.
- Fill the basket 1/2 full with potting soil.
- Plant and arrange herb seedlings as desired.
- Fill in and top with potting soil.
Some things to keep in mind:
Be sure to choose herbs that require similar growing environments. All of the plants in my basket require at least 6 hours of sun daily and have similar watering needs. This will make it easy to care for each herb variety in the basket.
Find a convenient place to keep your planter. You want your herbs accessible for both cooking and watering. My herb basket is in a repurposed wheel barrel next to my front door.
What have you up-cycled into a garden planter?
I’ve seen some really creative repurposed planters on Pinterest, my favorite being an old piano filled with bright flowers!