I’m dreaming of spring.
We had one day that enthusiastically stretched into the high 60’s for a short hour and now I can’t stop thinking about days in the sun. And because I’m desperately dreaming of spring, I’m dreaming of fresh garden veggies: vine ripened tomatoes, fresh cut herbs, homegrown lettuce, zucchini, all of it.
Unfortunately, it will be a few months before I can enjoy such luxuries.
In the meantime, I’ve been satisfying my cravings with this roasted garlic marinated in olive oil. I’ve taken to adding both oil and cloves to just about everything: stuffed it in meat, sprinkled on salad, sautéed with greens, and even at times, I have been known to spread it on crackers.
Making this takes a few short steps and produces enough goodness to last over a week. How could a garlic lover not indulge?!
- 5 garlic bulbs
- ~ 1 cup Olive oil
- Aluminum foil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove the loose outer peels from the bulbs. Be careful not to remove so much the cloves fall loose.
- Cut the top ½ inch off each bulb.
- Place in a baking dish base side down, cut side up.
- Generously drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- Once cooled. Push individual cloves from the bottom to pop them out. Place in a clean jar.
- Add enough olive oil to cover all cloves.
- Store for up to two weeks and enjoy generous helpings of garlic on just about everything!
Want to make this extra special? Add fresh herbs. I added a sprig of fresh rosemary in the garlic jar above, which I plan to use as a stuffing for a frozen mule deer loin I’m planning to grill.
Have you taken to dreaming of warm spring days- what is keeping you going during these last winter weeks?