Before the start of May, I found myself shocked at the amount of money we were spending on groceries each month. I shared my discovery here.
At the end of April we set our budget, planned our meals, and managed to spend less than $450 on our monthly grocery bill. A few changes to the way we eat and shop made this possible. The important changes:
- In an effort to align our lifestyle more closely to our goal of self-sufficiency, I stopped purchasing meat and eggs. We expect to be getting these things from our chickens soon, but for now we’re meat and egg free, which cuts the bill considerably.
- We still eat primarily organic food. I shop around and compare prices to keep costs down. I also don’t stick exclusively to organics. If it’s not on the dirty dozen list and is significantly cheaper to buy non-organic, I do.
- We’re only shopping for 150 monthly meals rather than 180 (2 adults eating 3 meals a day for 30 days) because my husband company starting covering a lot of his meal expenses.
- Our grocery bill includes all liquor purchases. With the exception of occasional warehouse bulk buys, our monthly staples (such as wine) are all included.
- Our grocery bill doesn’t include pet foods, for many reasons.
- We have a large garden which I’m planning to use for salads and other veggies by mid-June.
This month, I chose to make the challenge a bit more difficult by reducing our budget from $450 to $400. Why? Because I’m crazy like that. No, I’m just curious to see how low we can reduce our grocery bill while remaining comfortable. I know the average food stamp benefit for a family of two would probably be $400, so I figured dropping our food budget seemed a realistic challenge.
So here were go. Our mostly organic, unprocessed, on a budget meal plan for June. Enjoy!
1- Smoothie/ Cheese, Crackers, Hummus, Olives, Fruit/ Portobello Burgers & salad
2- Smoothie/ Peanut Butter & Jelly, Grapes/ Eat Out
3- Smoothie/ Spinach & sweet potato salad/ Veggie Burger on salad
4- Smoothie/ Spinach & sweet potato salad/ Grilled cheese with tomato & spinach
5- Breakfast smoothie/ Spinach & sweet potato salad/ Stuffed Portobello (leek & spin.)
6- Oatmeal/ Hummus, veggies, & salad/ Lasagna (freeze half)
7- Oatmeal/ Hummus, veggies & salad/ Mushroom Tart
8- Oatmeal/Salad & fruit/ Mediterranean grain salad
9- Tofu scramble/ leftovers/ Pasta with grilled veggies
10- Smoothie/ Edamame salad & fruit/ Butternut squash risotto
11- Smoothie/ Edamame salad & fruit/ Garden Fajitas
12- Smoothie/ Edamame salad & fruit/ Black bean tacos (extra for freezer enchiladas)
13- Smoothie/ Edamame salad & fruit/ Mozzarella, tomato, basil salad & pesto dressing
14- Smoothie/ Edamame salad & fruit/ Pizza & salad
15- Tofu scramble/ Avocado & Radish toast/ Twice baked sweet potatoes & salad
16- Pancakes/ Avocado & radish toast/ Bruschetta & salad
17- Smoothie/ Hummus, crackers, fruit/ Pad thai
18- Smoothie/ Hummus, crackers, fruit / Leftovers
19- Smoothie/ Hummus, crackers, fruit / Veggie curry
20- Smoothie/ Hummus, crackers, fruit / Quesadillas
21- Smoothie/ Hummus, crackers, fruit / Veggie burgers
22- Toast & Jam/ Leftover veggie burger/ Pizza & salad
23- Toast & Jam/ Leftover pizza/ Avocado reuben
24- Smoothie/ Southwest salad/ Lasagna (freezer)
25- Smoothie/ Southwest salad / Dinner Out
26- Smoothie/ Southwest salad / Enchiladas (freezer)
27- Smoothie/ Southwest salad/ Portobello & zucchini tacos
28- Smoothie/ Southwest salad/ Mushroom & spinach tart
29- Tofu Scramble/ Leftover tart/ Mushroom & pepper melts w/ salad
30- Toast & Jam/ Quesadilla from leftovers/ Tostadas