South West Style Frittata
Recipe type: Vegetarian Entree
- Cast iron skillet
- Olive oil or butter
- ⅓ cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup southwest style fillers (bell peppers, beans, jalapeños, corn, etc.)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 eggs, lightly scrambled
- 3 T. whipping cream
- 3 T. salsa
- ½ cup shredded cheese, we used a mix of cheddar and jack
- ¼ cup toasted bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the eggs and cream. Set aside.
- Heat the oil or butter in the skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion. Sprinkle with salt and cook until just tender.
- Add the southwest style filling. Cook a few minutes longer until tender.
- Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds more.
- Turn the heat to low, and add the egg mixture.
- Gently fold in the cheese and salsa.
- Cook, covered over low heat until the edges begin to firmly set.
- Remove from heat. Top with bread crumbs and a light sprinkling of salt and pepper. Bake uncovered until the dish has set.
- Serve warm or cool.
Recipe by The Homespun Journal at http://www.thehomespunjournal.com/2012/06/11/south-west-style-frittata-meatless-monday/